Skip to content
What is Unified License?
- National Telecom Policy – 2012 recognizes that the evolution from analog to digital technology has facilitated the conversion of voice, data and video to the digital form. Increasingly, these are now being rendered through single networks bringing about a convergence in networks, services and also devices. Hence, it is now imperative to move towards convergence between various services, networks, platforms, technologies and overcome the existing segregation of licensing, registration and regulatory mechanisms in these areas to enhance affordability, increase access, delivery of multiple services and reduce cost. Further, it envisages providing secure, reliable, affordable and high quality converged telecommunication services anytime, anywhere for an accelerated inclusive socio-economic development. One of the objectives of the National Telecom policy-2012 is “Strive to create One Nation – One License” across services and service areas.
- 2. After considering the recommendations of TRAI for Unified Licenses, the Government has decided to grant Unified License (UL). The basic features of UL are as follows:-
- (i)The allocation of spectrum is delinked from the licenses and has to be obtained separately as per prescribed procedure. At present, spectrum in 800/900/1800/2100/2300/2500 MHz band is allocated through bidding process. For all other services and usages like Public Mobile Radio Trunking Service (PMRTS), the allocation of spectrum and charges thereof shall be as prescribed by Wireless and Planning and Co-ordination wing of Department of Telecommunications from time to time.
- (ii)Authorisation under Unified License comprises for any one or more services listed below:
- a. Unified License (All Services)
- b. Access Service (Service Area-wise)
- c. Internet Service (Category-A with All India jurisdiction)
- d. Internet Service (Category-B with jurisdiction in a Service Area)
- e. Internet Service (Category-C with jurisdiction in a Secondary Switching Area)
- f. National Long Distance (NLD) Service
- g. International Long Distance (ILD) Service
- h. Global Mobile Personal Communication by Satellite (GMPCS) Service
- i. Public Mobile Radio Trunking Service (PMRTS) Service
- j. Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) Closed User Group (CUG) Service
- k. INSAT MSS-Reporting (MSS-R) Service
- l. Resale of International private Leased Circuit (IPLC) Service Authorisation for Unified License (All Services) would however cover all services listed at para 2(ii) (b) in all service areas, 2 (ii) (c), 2(ii) (f) to 2(ii) (l) above.
- 3. The broad guidelines for grant of Unified License have also been announced.